Wednesday, April 9, 2014

NPR: "Why Women Don't Ask For More Money"

"When the women negotiated for themselves, they asked for an average of $7,000 less than the men. But when they negotiated on behalf of a friend, they asked for just as much money as the men."
Amanatullah (an assistant professor of management at the University of Texas) says when women advocate for themselves, they have to navigate more than a higher salary: They're managing their reputation, too. Women worry that pushing for more money will damage their image. Research shows they're right to be concerned: Both male and female managers are less likely to want to work with women who negotiate during a job interview.

One person I spoke with for this story lowballed herself so much in a negotiation that the recruiter came back and asked if she was sure she wanted to request so little. She hates negotiating to this day. (read the whole thing)
NPR via Hotair

14 comments:

ricpic said...

Oops. Wrong thread. :^~

Shouting Thomas said...

The "wage gap" is a fabrication. Isn't happening.

Shouting Thomas said...

I worked as a contractor for the last ten years of my career.

I must have gone through six jobs. Negotiations over salary were non-existent. You either took what was offered or you said no.

bagoh20 said...

I'm 10 times as wimpy as any woman. 40 years as an employee and I have never asked for a raise in my life. In fact, at one point when my employment agreement as a young CEO would have doubled my pay after a very good year, I refused it and unilaterally cancelled the agreement because I felt it too generous to a single employee when the performance was a team effort. I wish I hadn't done that. I'm smarter now.

Hagar said...

I have never asked for a raise in my life. It is my employer's duty to see to it that I am paid what I am worth to him. If I disagree with his assessment, there are other places to work.

Unknown said...

It is a fabrication.
Funny how this issue is suddenly important now that the leftwing machine is going to push Hillary again.

Women must be victims.

Shouting Thomas said...

My late wife and I worked at precisely the same tech job for different companies over a period of about five years.

Very little, if any difference, in salaries between us. Sometimes she made a little more, sometimes I made a little more, sometimes we made exactly the same.

Yes, women must be victims. And, Dems must sow racial and sexual hatred. That's their bread and butter.

Unknown said...

Democrat party /media apparatchiks win votes by dividing people as they spread false and misleading information
to keep the masses fearful and full of hate.

Unknown said...

Gotta hate the man!

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Obama used skin color, Hillary is going to push her gender.

ricpic said...

Hillary just said that she's going to rise above partisanship. But when asked about the Koch brothers a strange Grrrrr sound - like a dog! - came out of her ample gut.

edutcher said...

Most women aren't that confrontational.

Only feminist psychotics claim it as a virtue.

Lem said...

Obama used skin color, Hillary is going to push her gender.

Which one?

(had to...)

rhhardin said...

I never asked for more money. In fact I told my boss several times that I thought I was overpaid.

He said no it's the market rate now.

With a play-for-pay job you can never tell these things.

bagoh20 said...

Where are these women who don't ask for more money? Are we talking about Earth women?