Sunday, March 2, 2014

"Morning Glory: Jogger Ticketed for Crack-of-Dawn Run Through Central Park"

"Runners have joined jaywalkers on the NYPD’s to-ticket list."
CEO Peter Shankman was issued a summons for running in Central Park too early in the morning, Gothamist reports.

Mr. Shankman, who is an “author, entrepreneur, speaker, and worldwide connector,” and founder of Help a Reporter Out, was stopped by cops around 4:30 a.m. on Thursday near 85th Street on the park’s East Side.

He said he was training for the Ironman Triathlon and getting his 10 miles in before his morning meeting, Mr. Shankman wrote on Facebook.

But apparently, Central Park is closed between 1am and 6am, making his early morning run a criminal act.

Mr. Shankman claims there were no signs, gates, or traffic cones indicating that the park was closed.
NY Observer. Tweeted ticket and comments at the link

16 comments:

chickelit said...

This makes the de Blasio people happy. Punish initiative, drive, ambition and earnestness. Plus the cops need to keep up their quotas now that ticketing petty crime is against policy.

Enjoy the decline!

Beloved Commenter AReasonableMan said...

I would have given him a ticket just for making me feel inadequate. On the rare occasions I get it together to do some exercise it takes me at least until 11 or so to talk myself into going.

ricpic said...

Gotta keep the riffraff CEO's outta the park. After all they might be hit by the banksters swan diving from their Fifth Avenue and/or Central Park West penthouses.

john said...

Why is ignorance of the law an excuse? He's not a cop or a politician afterall.

Unknown said...

Easy target revenue enhancement.

@ ARM - I would have given him a ticket just for making me feel inadequate.

That explains so much.

Beloved Commenter AReasonableMan said...

April Apple said...
That explains so much.


If we can't make fun of the neurotic strivers amongst us who can we mock in safety?

Unknown said...

:) Indeed.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Shankman is quite the self-promoter. I wonder if he somehow arranged this as a PR stunt?

Trooper York said...

Now if he had just raped a jogger instead he would have received a multi-million dollar settlement and a movie would be made about him.

bagoh20 said...

This is the same excuse every burglar uses when fleeing his crimes. I don't buy it. I mean who actually runs 10 miles for nothing. Ain't nobody got time for dat. That's just not a believable story.

I'm neurotically striving for mediocrity, obscurity, and a record of reliable inadequacy. I'm very close.

AllenS said...

How about this for an excuse:

"I was being chased by 3 men that looked like they could have been Obama's sons, and they had hoodies and were trying to rob me. I'm lucky to be alive!"

Trooper York said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trooper York said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trooper York said...

Was he eating Skittles?

Because I hear that is proof that you are totally innocent.

ndspinelli said...

He should have worn a hoodie.

JAL said...

Geeze -- a gazillion years ago a friend and I spent the night in Central Park before he left for Italy for his senior year.

Criminals!