Monday, March 10, 2014

Adam Lanza's father: “I want people to be afraid of the fact that this could happen to them,”

"Since the shootings, Peter has avoided the press, but in September, as the first anniversary of his son’s rampage approached, he contacted me (New Yorker writer Andrew Solomon) to say that he was ready to tell his story..."
Peter hadn’t seen his son for two years at the time of the Sandy Hook killings, and, even with hindsight, he doesn’t think that the catastrophe could have been predicted. But he constantly thinks about what he could have done differently and wishes he had pushed harder to see Adam. “Any variation on what I did and how my relationship was had to be good, because no outcome could be worse,” he said. Another time, he said, “You can’t get any more evil,” and added, “How much do I beat up on myself about the fact that he’s my son? A lot.”
 
Interview subjects usually have a story they want to tell, but Peter Lanza came to these conversations as much to ask questions as to answer them. It’s strange to live in a state of sustained incomprehension about what has become the most important fact about you. “I want people to be afraid of the fact that this could happen to them,” he said.
Skipping down to the last two paragraphs...
The last time I saw Peter, he had taken out a picture of himself at the beach with his two sons. “One thing that struck me about that picture is that it’s clear that he’s loved,” he said. Peter has dreamed about Adam every night since the event, dreams of pervasive sadness rather than fear; he had told me that he could not be afraid of his fate as Adam’s father, even of being murdered by his son. Recently, though, he had had the worst nightmare of his life. He was walking past a door; a figure in the door began shaking it violently. Peter could sense hatred, anger, “the worst possible evilness,” and he could see upraised hands. He realized it was Adam. “What surprised me is that I was scared as shit,” he recounted. “I couldn’t understand what was happening to me. And then I realized that I was experiencing it from the perspective of his victims.”

I wondered how Peter would feel if he could see his son again. “Quite honestly, I think that I wouldn’t recognize the person I saw,” he said. “All I could picture is there’d be nothing there, there’d be nothing. Almost, like, ‘Who are you, stranger?’ ” Peter declared that he wished Adam had never been born, that there could be no remembering who he was outside of who he became. “That didn’t come right away. That’s not a natural thing, when you’re thinking about your kid. But, God, there’s no question. There can only be one conclusion, when you finally get there. That’s fairly recent, too, but that’s totally where I am.”
The New Yorker

7 comments:

Shouting Thomas said...

Wouldn't want to be in that guy's shoes.

Don't know whether it's better for him to speak or to remain quiet and in isolation.

If he's looking for forgiveness, he's probably not going to find it in a public forum.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

The guy is an accountant.

Isn't it their nature to at least attempt... to resolve something pending?

KCFleming said...

There was nothing more the parents could do, not in the US. The guy was severely mentally ill and getting progressively worse.

We treat dogs better than this. The parents did everything they could, but they couldn't fix crazy.

edutcher said...

In the immortal words of Joseph Warren Stilwell, "I can only do my best and to Hell with it".

Birches said...

That was a tough read.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

That was a tough read.

Thanks for reading it. I believe we need their side too before we rush to write laws and what not.

MamaM said...

Thank you for posting this. I deliberately didn't read it until tonight, when I had more time to take it in. It was a respectfully written article, respectful of the pain and grief of all involved, as well as open about the dysfunction, darkness, and evil that was also manifest.