Monday, February 17, 2014

My True Story - Chapter 1

I was seated on the top of a dolomite escarpment, above the destroyed valley where the Lubian warrior robots were slowly trundling back to their craft.  Some were broken, some leaking a fluid, others dragging long arms or eight-foot long legs behind.  All were damaged in some way, but it didn’t matter.  The Lubians had won the war, Earth had been destroyed.  The machines had won the war.

One of them turned and made a final sweep of the valley before boarding, searching for more beings.  I hastily dug my incognomesh out of my backpack and wrapped it around me.  The Lubian warrior’s sensing detectors scanned the hilltops, but the incognomesh rendered me safely invisible.  Satisfied, the last of the warrior robots boarded their craft, and in an instant it was gone.
 
No one on earth knew where the Lubian’s had come from, or at least no one would admit having such knowledge, although the truth is that someone knew, or perhaps several people, people in positions of power and authority knew.   No one knew why the Lubians wanted to destroy Earth and its entire people and their civilizations.  Even in their last moments of life, the powerful rulers of Earth’s countries feigned ignorance about the aggressors, hoping against hope for a reprieve from their fates. 
 
But they knew.  They had secretly and covertly participated in the Lubian destruction of Earth.  I had the proof.  I knew that now, I had pieced everything that happened together.  I had the answers.  But it was too late.  The war was over. 

The other side of Earth had been gouged out by weapons beyond the ken of the human mind to understand or invent.  The other half of Earth, if you could see it from space, would look like God’s grinding wheel had ground if off the planet.  It was simply gone.  All of its people, its mountains and oceans, rivers and cities, all gone, without any trace remaining.  No future civilization could study it, could discover what happened, because nothingness holds no clues.
 
My side of Earth had been wiped clean of human life, of animal life.  Everyone was dead, except me.  I had escaped death by hiding in caves, using the maps Agency Prime had given me in the survival kit. I watched the destruction.  The cities were all gone, as were the towns and villages and farms and ranches.  The fighting had been fierce, noble humans struggling heroically against weapons and robots they could not defeat.  
 
It was time to end my life.  I was the last living being on earth; the choice was death by my choice, or death by torturous deprivation of sunlight, food and water.  I opened my survival kit and took out the vial that held the end it all pill.  We laughed about it at the training center – the end it all pill.  The last resort of the defeated operative was to take the end it all pill.  We named it Enditol, jokingly, not believing we’d ever need to use it, and never imagining the kind of circumstances that were now closing in on me.
 
I opened the vial and held the Enditol pill in my hand.  One bite and life ends painlessly, instantly, like a light switch turning off a lamp.  I grasped my water bottle and moved my hand to my mouth.  
 
A slight and unexpected noise at my left made my head turn.  A cockroach scuttled out from under a leaf, then disappeared down a fissure in the escarpment.  I stayed still for a moment, pondering.  Did life remain on this remnant of the planet?  How would another civilization know what had happened here, if another civilization arose, or arrived from beyond?
 
I put the Enditol pill back into its vial.  I reached into my backpack and pulled out my daily log and a pen with perma-ink and began to write:
 
“My name is Sam Callahan and this is my true story.”

25 comments:

Trooper York said...

Love it. Great stuff Michael. Keep it coming.

President-Mom-Jeans said...

More please.

Michael Haz said...

More please.

I'm aiming for a new chapter every Monday. My noggin is full of clutter and teasing out a work of fiction once each week, and keeping it interesting, will take time.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I like science fiction... in the movies, I must admit. but I will read yours MH. that's a promise.

deborah said...

Intriguing, I look forward to the next installment.

Trooper York said...

I for one welcome our robot fiction overlords.

Trooper York said...

I would also love to see Synova post some of her fiction here. I think that she writes and maybe she can give us a sample.

Trooper York said...

The ability to self publish on Kindle has opened it up for many talented people.

ricpic said...

Chicago. The Lubians came from Chicago.

Trooper York said...

Lubians? I thought they were Nubians and they came from Detroit.

Trooper York said...

If Geordi La Forge were awake he would hit me with his visor.

Trooper York said...

I do have a suggestion. Maybe the only other survivor besides the cockroach would be a leisure suit wearing gardener from Wisconsin.

Just to bath it in a little realism so to speak.

deborah said...

"I would also love to see Synova post some of her fiction here. I think that she writes and maybe she can give us a sample."

Great idea!

JAL said...

Got me.

virgil xenophon said...

All mankind would have had to do to defeat the Lubians is to confront them with a single male wearing a cranberry-red 70s double-knit leisure suit w. wide white patten-leather belt and shoes complete w. long side-burns. THAT mere sight alone would have WITHOUT DOUBT have been MORE THAN ENOUGH to repulse them via TOTAL and ABJECT revulsion..

rcocean said...

So when does the black Chick show up?

rcocean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Dude said...

This is about Obama, right?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Speaking of Sci-Fi there a huge asteroid making an earth fly by.

Live images

chickelit said...

@Haz: The Lubians sound like tribologists. Are you writing Science Friction?

Michael Haz said...

Yes. If I continue the book. Gauging the response.

deborah said...

I don't care if it's just the cockroach, but there should be kissing by the end.

chickelit said...

My valentine for deborah, three days late: link.

Dad Bones said...

I like a good 'last man standing' or -one of the last men standing- story.

deborah said...

lol chick, I love it :)