Thursday, February 27, 2014

Jake Bugg

Johnny Cash was BUMMING ME OUT. I cannot have negative things in my iTunes.  Oh, the end-to-end whinging. Grow a pair. However, an energetic song along similar lines of uncertainty is fine.


I like this new talent a lot. The way he sings strikes me as raw and naïve, in places a bit like yelling almost like a bird testing its voice and that thought cast me back to the moment I did that myself, discovered my voice can yell. It seems we all discovered the same thing at once on the same day because we were in the back yard screaming at each other at the top of our lungs for no reason at all except to exercise our voices and fully explore how far they can go. Three of us filled with the loudest joy ever. Just screaming.

Without fences our yards connected into one large field, I do not know where, Winston Salem North Carolina or Bedford Virginia, we were spread out in the yard , competing in screaming. The discovery was fantastic. She yelled. "Yaaaaaaah"  A neighbor girl, I yelled back, "Yaaaaaah" she screamed, "I-i-i-i-i-i-i-" I screamed, "I-i-i-i-i-i-i-" another kid matched our scream, "I-i-i-i-i-i-i"and we were not to be outdone. We pumped it up to deeper breath, higher-pitched scream, sustained it as long as we could, and it felt glorious, the possibilities endless, we sang like mad angels together we yelled, "Y-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I..."

"CHIP, KNOCK IT OFF! You sound like you're being murdered." 

When I hear children doing that, rarely, thank goodness, I know what they're doing, relate to that actually, and I am not bothered by children exercising their voices. Oddly, that is what Jake Bugg reminds me off. In places, howling, making noise.

9 comments:

Anne in Rockwall, TX said...

Keith Urban brought him on Idol last night. He was mesmerizing.

Michael Haz said...

In the neighborhood where I live the kids are mostly in high school of college. It's quiet.

The 30 something couple (all career, no children planned) who own the house next door became pregnant. Little girl. Then a second little girl. Both now toddlers, full of energy.

Hearing their voices in the back yard, laughing, yelling, singing, shrieking, sometimes crying, is a delight. We open windows and doors when they are outside just so we can hear the beautiful noise.

And they do scream sometimes just for the fun of screaming. Scream! Scream!! SCREAM!!! Laugh laugh laugh, and it starts anew.

Shouting Thomas said...

Good tune.

Johnny Cash's musing on age and death wasn't really depressing. But, young people see things different.

Known Unknown said...

Jake is a good ol' boy from Nottingham.

Known Unknown said...

Johnny Cash's musing on age and death wasn't really depressing. But, young people see things different.

Cash had a deceptive wit about him.

sakredkow said...

I'll check this out tonight.

What was Johnny whining about? "Guess Things Happent That Way"? Ballad of a Teenage Queen?

I do prefer the upbeat Hey Porter! or Get Rhythm. Big River is also a monster of a song, belongs up there with Mark Twain, Walt Whitman, Hart Crane.

sakredkow said...

I'm kind of agreeing with my friends ST and EMD on this. It might be a generational thing.

I have to admit I was slapped down here a while ago for not knowing the difference between lamenting and whining. They made a point.

sakredkow said...

What was Johnny whining about?

I'm an idiot. I didn't even notice the Johnny Cash post Hurt ahead of this. My mistake. My mistake everybody.

Hurt is definitely a whine, not a lament in my book. Not too crazy about the song myself, although he does it brilliantly.

Bob Dylan said some terrible things about those Johnny Cash records done with Rick Rubin. He couldn't stand them. I was surprised he would say such bad things like he did after Johnny died.

Paddy O said...

American Idol watcher!

I wasn't taken, honestly. I didn't think he was much better than the 2 guitar playing singer/songwriter guy contestants.

The real question I have is if MK is a producer driven plant or if she really is getting the votes. She's all narrative not talent. AI is acting like being a gay woman singer is somehow cutting edge. They miss the whole Lilith fair thing? When did it become somehow a shocking thing to be a gay woman singer that needs coddling support from the judges?