Tuesday, February 4, 2014

"I still hold the top part of the pole"

"In the comments, tell us your stories of how your height affects your city life, and please include your height. Those on the shorter side should feel free to weigh in as well; the 5-foot-4 writer of this post has recently struggled with paying for her 50-cent coffee at the local bodega, which has raised its counter to about eye level."
I am 6 feet, and a woman. Most of the time I don't mind the endless "Your so tall!" comments. Now I answer them with "So I have been told." I have had a few funny height related incidents, but one sticks out:
I always try and hold the higher part of the pole in the subway so shorter people don't have to reach. It seems like a courteous, easy thing I could do. One day I was riding a moderately crowded L train and assumed my normal stance, arm up at a 90 degree angle, holding the upper part of the pole. When woman, who was significantly shorter than me, came up very close and stood right underneath my bent arm, effectively putting her head in my armpit. The train wasn't that crowded that she needed to stand so close to me. So I glanced down and gave her a look that was supposed to imply "I'm confused by your behavior." Then I noticed the camera filming her. I could hear her speaking, but figured it was a few NYU students making a film, so I looked straight ahead and tried to ignore them.
The next day my coworker sent me an email saying I was in NY Post video. Turns out Jennie Shupak, the NY1 Rail & Road reporter, had done a piece about subway etiquette and she chose me as one of her examples. Her lesson was to avoid holding the upper part of the pole because you end up putting your armpit in people's faces.
No offense to Ms. Shupak but I think her etiquette tips may be skewed to people of a certain height. And I still hold the top part of the pole.
Those of you not living in cities, maybe you have a story from when you were in a confined space, elevators or such, when people came in close and your height came in to play... as it where.
  
NYT Seeking Views From Your High or Low Perch

6 comments:

The Dude said...

"Your so tall!" offends me.

I am 4'4", 440 pounds. *ding*

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Here is an etiquette tip.....don't put your nose in somebody else's armpit.

AllenS said...

We don't have that problem where I live.

Trooper York said...

I was on the subway once coming home from the South St Seaport and this girl was holding me from the top part of my pole.

I got a summons.

It was the eighties.

Unknown said...

80's pole grabbing was at epidemic levels, Troop. You're one of many caught in the top pole grab net.

Trooper York said...

Well that is how they got the idea for stop and frisk. Just sayn'