Friday, February 21, 2014

A Few Questions For Pat Benetar

Who among us hasn't listened to Hit Me With Your Best Shot?  And really, who among us hasn't sung along, whether in a bar, or on a treadmill at the health club, or in the back of a police car, or maybe just in the car while driving home and hoping not to be pulled over for yet another DUI ticket?  It's a catchy song.

The lyrics are, um, interesting, and I have a few questions for Pat Benetar.

When you said "Well you're the real tough cookie with the long history"  why didn't you just walk away.  A tough cookie? How did you think that a person like that would lead to a good and healthy relationship?  Or was it literally a tough cookie, one that you were having some difficulty chewing?

"Put up your dukes, lets get down to it!"  Were you soliciting a fight?  Was it with a guy or a gal, if that isn't too personal?  Or did you mean a different thing by "let's get down to it"?

No, I think you meant a fight, because look here where you said "Why don't you hit me with your best shot!"  Or maybe not a fight-fight, this does sound like you're looking for some masochistic behavior, doesn't it.  You were looking to get spanked, may be slapped around a bit before rough sex.  Hey, that's cool; we're all grown-ups here.  Whatever floats your boats.

"Before I put another notch in my lipstick case you better make sure you put me in my place."

Pat, have you considered how a thing like this might anger some women?  First of all, the lipstick reference, some women will be offended by that because they detest the use of lipstick and makeup and such non-feminist things.  At the same time, other women will like that as a subtle reference to the lipstick lesbians that are a kind of unicorn in the dating world these days (so I'm told, cough cough). Clever, having it both ways.

"Put me in my place"  See, there's a troubling part of the lyric.  It supposes that your place is inferior to someone else's place.  And someone thinks that he/she/it/them is/are in some way superior to you.  Unless you meant "my place"  is tied up on a bed or in a basement somewhere, part of that whole bondage thing.

Okay, you are putting on lipstick before being tied up and spanked.  I think it's clear now that that's what you  meant by your lyrics.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

In fact, I'll remember that while I watch this great performance.  Thanks for the *memories*.

15 comments:

ricpic said...

Can I just say...she's got Great Arms!

The official get out of jail free card.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

I know. This song always bothered me in some ways when it came out. I was IN an abusive relationship and was getting OUT. I'm thinking: don't put up with this shit. AND Don't ask to be hit with "your best shot", cuz that WILL lead to physical abuse and you don't need that crap. Women are not strong enough to go toe to toe with a guy. (This is why we have guns... JK...sorta) You are BETTER than that. Just kick the bastard to the curb. Have some self respect and find someone who will treat you right.

Okay, you are putting on lipstick before being tied up and spanked. I think it's clear now that that's what you meant by your lyrics. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I guess some people thrive on sadomasochistic relationships.

XRay said...

Perhaps you tongue was in your cheek, ricpic. But funny, I was thinking she's a little long in the tooth for that outfit, or maybe it was the lighting. But I thought her arms didn't look all that good. They looked like mine, healthy young flesh turning to sallow old age container.

Good comment, DBQ, and good for you.

Trooper York said...

It is a meataphor.

Get it? Meat-a-phor.

She was talking about fucking. Jeez.

Trooper York said...

She wants to get hit with that big meat. Just sayn'

sakredkow said...

Personally I preferred the Ooh Ooh Song.

rcocean said...

"Well, you're the real tough cookie
With the long history
Of breaking little hearts
Like the one in me
Before I put another notch
In my lipstick case
You better make sure
You put me in my place"

Seems like some sort of Love song.

MamaM said...

Noooo, Noooo, Nooooo! it's not about meat or her desire for S and M.

She's talking to a Splooge Stoodge.

Egging him on.

XRay said...

Great, MamaM. Those two words should forever live in infamy.

Michael Haz said...

I saw Splooge Stooge open for Waxing Not Waxing at Bonaroo.

Known Unknown said...

Well, Love is a Battlefield, so it all makes sense.

Merciful heavens! Violent rhetoric!

rcocean said...

"Well, Love is a Battlefield, so it all makes sense."

You're right EMD - Great Balls of Fire, I'm all shook up.

Chip Ahoy said...

It was a misunderstanding.

Bad connection. The songwriter misunderstood the request for a song with a lot of violins and this song is what she received. Too late. No time to write a new one. Had to stick with it. And off it went.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

You know what would be awesome?

Pat Benetar and the Pretenders performing together.

William said...

Who knew that there were crazed Pat Benatar fans. There are so many unknown worlds out there. If a Gordon Lightfoot fan had sex with a Pat Benatar fan who would be the most disappointed, if there was no second date.