Monday, January 13, 2014

New Middle Egyptian study group

Starting Monday, February 17th, 2014.

* Necessary to join Glyphstudy in order to participate.
* send first/last name, indicate you want the allen 2014 section
 See http://www.rostau.org.uk/AEgyptian-L/ for AEL resources.

It is an Allen study section. The text is James Allen, Middle Egyptian An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs. Any edition from 2001 to 2010. 

And then a list of edition-related caveats that exclude both the earliest and the latest and list small problems throughout with all of them.

It is expect that it will take just under 2.5 years to complete Allen.

What? 

I'm sorry, that is too long. 

Forget I brought up the whole thing. Apologies.

It is an introduction, it must go faster than that. Here's the thing. I have that book and I don't like it. I should hasten to Amazon and say so. I do not like the physical book. It is ridiculous. It is only 520 pages so not so daunting that it takes 2.5 years, and that is with references, a sign list at the end, sign shapes, as they do but you know those already, dictionary, answers to exercises, and an index back there, so only 400 pages of text. Still, the book is bulky, too heavy, overly dense, too small pages so the typeface is too small, tiny actually, the typeface for hieroglyphs is way way WAY too small. You need magnifying reading glasses plus a proper magnifying glass just to read the glyphs. 

It does not do to merely recognize the general shape of a glyph, you must be able to discern one bird from another and sometimes the differences hardly apparent. The tiny typeface is unacceptable. The tight binding of the book is unacceptable. No thought is given to the reader who uses this book. 

I tore my copy apart, as I do with such uncooperative books, attempting to tame it, for its separate pieces to be more manageable and the book more utile. But nothing short of a magnifying light-table will suffice. Page by page enlargement of the whole thing. 



That is why the class takes 2.5 years, for running a magnifying lens across each line. Line for line, the whole book. Why would a publisher do that?

And it is expensive besides. 

6 comments:

rhhardin said...

I get my Egypt from Bizarro blog

one
another

He takes comments.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

My guess is that trying to learn hieroglyphs from an audiobook would be a fool's errand.

Chip Ahoy said...

Very funny!

edutcher said...

I think Professor Henry Jones, Jr is offering a trip to Egypt, complete with an excursion to Tanis, where you can get hands(and soul)-on experience.

Christy said...

I remember lugging around a 3" tome in 4th grade trying to teach myself hieroglyphics. I learned some, but got bored when I realized very little text was available for trying to read back in '62. What good is a secret code when there's nothing to interpret? Flabbergasting what the internet brings to our hands in seconds, isn't it?

Wonder how big books for teaching Chinese Calligraphy are? Caught the end of Hero on TV last night and sat up watching to the wee hours. Why do I do that for movies I already have? If you haven't seen it, Hero is visually stunning with color to amaze. Calligraphy plays an important role. It's probably a chick flick what with the beautiful love story, but you guys may enjoy the martial arts and sword play. Jet Li stars.

White Shark Egypt said...

Egypt travel Offers and tours, Nile cruises. We specialize in Egypt Packages and Red Sea diving holidays.ausflüge,Escursioni.
http://www.whitesharkegypt.com/