Sunday, January 5, 2014

Mike Tyson on Mike Tyson

"Strangely, times of success are most dangerous for me. When people tell me, “You’re great” or “Your comeback is amazing” or “You’re a god,” I could feed right into it and go get high. Hey, if my life is so good, how could smoking a joint be bad? How could a shot of Hennessy or a line of coke be so bad when everything else I’ve been doing is great — especially when there are beautiful, successful people feeding my ego and supplying the drugs? So I’ve learned that when people congratulate me, that’s when I focus on my flaws. That way I don’t allow my narcissism to fly sky-high and allow me to think that I can act out without any consequences."

"Fighting to Kick the Habit"
Mike Tyson’s Drugs and Alcohol Resolution. NY Times Op-Ed.

16 comments:

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Nicely said and it's heartening that he resisted the temptation to throw in an allusion to Icarus.

KCFleming said...

Tyson's words must have been translated into NYTimes-speak.

The Dude said...

All well and good, but do tell us about the face tats.

chickelit said...

Friends, Romans, Sportsmen! Lend me your ears!

AllenS said...

Lend me your ears

Oh, that was low. Funny, but low.

AllenS said...

It takes a big man to confess and admit to one's failures in life.

bagoh20 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bagoh20 said...

Like many I was initially in awe of his abilities as a fighter. A real inspiring start. Then I quickly grew to hate the guy. He just turned into a public and private jerk. He had a mansion just down the road from a friend of mine in Las Vegas, before he was forced to sell it. She would see him occasionally in the gym with his entourage (a much smaller one than my own), and although his people were often assholes, he seemed decent himself.

I have turned around on the guy after listening to him a few times. He seems pretty genuine now, and surprisingly sharp, funny and intelligent. I also think I could kick his ass now, and for a cool million, I'll show you. Call your people Mike. Let's do this.

The Dude said...

Did Evander Holyfield become a painter?

chickelit said...

Did you just gogh there?

AllenS said...

I don't see any empty seats at Lambeau.

SF 3 GB 0

AllenS said...

SF 6 GB 7

Chip Ahoy said...

That is a lobely philosophy, he's not just bending our ears. Concha imagine him, his whole life, a fine silk purse made from a ... um ... a ... a ... an unfortunate and disadvantaged beginning.

The Dude said...

NINERS!

chickelit said...

The Pack played well but that Koppernickel guy wanted it more.

AllenS said...

SF was the better team. Good for them.