Sunday, December 15, 2013

bmx teens


I left the apartment by way of garage door that opens to a ramp up to the alley. I reach into my pocket and press the button on the key fob that activates the door, voop, it opens delightfully fast in one second like a Star Trek door except it is real and not a television prop. 

There is a 30-something man walking by in dark coat and bright green scarf, I walk up the ramp to the alley and turn we are now walking in the same direction, the door closes behind me, he is ahead and stops, and I think, here it is, he wants something, he has some request, right then a bicycle passes between us, an ugly bicycle, then another, bicycle, the exact same kind, we continue walking, then another bicycle, then another and another, they are some kind of bmx gang with the same type bicycle, they all look alike, the man looks at me a bit worried, then suddenly  a swarm bicycles passes between us all at once, in front of us, beside us, behind us, more between us, passing by us as we continue along, and I say, "Cool." The man looks at me and as the last bicycle passes I say, "It's like a South Park episode." And it was exactly like that, when the 6th Graders swarm. The guy laughed as we both notice the entire swarm stop. They are all bmx type grayish ugly Borg-type bicycles, painted similarly to say, "not worth stealing" the kind with small wheels where the rider bends over to pedal, that does tricks, I think. 

Mind, this is 1/2 block from the Art Museum. Everyone involved the green scarf man, the bmx swarm are all in and of that same area. It is not a threatening situation at all, there is no Art Museum bicycle gang that I know of and I'm delighted with the idea of teens doing organized activitahs like that. They all stopped and collected at the street we both notice and turn as a group and the swarm now advances toward us en mass. The green scarf man looks a bit worried but I feel nothing like that. Then they are all right there surrounding us and lingering I am wondering where they intend to take this, probably ask us to buy alcohol or something. Right then a new voice, 

"Hey any of you buds got a match?" 

We all turn to look, the green scarf guy, all the cyclists all at once turn like little kitten heads toward a man sitting on the ground leaning against the wall. We walked passed him just then and the cyclists returned and converged right then, that one meth-looking guy leaning on the crack house rental place completely disturbed the dynamics of whatever it was developing just then. Five of them answered "No, Sir," and one sweet and kindly obsequious attending teenager bmx cyclist dismounted left his bike in the alley walked over to the meth-bum bend down to him and lit his cigarette for him.

2 comments:

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I've yet to see anyone texting while pedaling a bmx but I'm not saying it'll never happen.

ricpic said...

It's the Art Museum corruption factor kicking in.