Saturday, November 2, 2013

Something To Hang On A Wall

"A masterful recording of 219 engines of aural bliss that tracks the progression of the music player from 1840 to the modern day. Color-coded and hand-illustrated, this chart scores a wide spectrum of audio devices, from Edison’s early phonograph to the Disco Lyte boombox to the Sony Walk/Discman, all the way to the rise of mp3 players like the iPod and Zune. If music is the gateway to the soul, this high-fidelity timeline lays down the ways we’ve been unlocking the doors through 173 years of audio history."

Pop Chart Lab

2 comments:

Chip Ahoy said...

Wow.

Check out your favorites on eBay, you can have any of that.

I was surprised not to see Bangh & Olfsen turntable that goes right to the first track, there are plenty of Techniques in that area, and there is one B&O but that is a cd player.

Then in eBay I checked it out, and pages and pages and pages of B&O stuff for cheap like it's all junk or used for parts.

I read pages on player pianos. People know all about the specific models and argue about the materials inside. They can tell what the company did, the shortcuts they took, the reasons they did things, the sizes of holes and the quality of paper.

A lot of Bakelite shows up everywhere.

I recognize a lot of those things. Things I have no business knowing. Some are very familiar indeed. The turntables and reel-to-reels and some of the cabinet stereos. I had no idea it could be conceived this way.

[I showed my aunt photos of where my dad once worked, a room of wall to wall electronics, and told her it was our basement and she readily believed me. Then I felt bad because the joke was so obvious, but actually she had no good reason to doubt.]

Oh, that graph is really hard to navigate.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Maybe on a wall bussiness, bussiness wall, wall to wall, green monster, frm cell phone