Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Gettysburg

My favorite part about the Veteran's Day ceremonies yesterday was Obama's visit to Gettysburg.

Having accepted Pennsylvania's delegation's invitation he stepped forward onto the temporary platform that had been erected, my heart skipped a few beats as he delivered his brief crisp message and then left the stage onto another function. A satisfying sense of completion settled upon the crowd, a feeling that a great wheel has turned full circle, a phase of humanity completed to satisfying results.

For everybody knew Obama started his presidential campaign in Springfield Illinois, and during the campaign it was Obama's staff and media that encouraged comparisons between Obama and Lincoln, and after he won Obama recreated Lincoln's train trip to Washington as part of his inauguration show. He was sworn in using the Lincoln Bible. Twice.

On top of all that, he is black. Apparently. Oh, the profundity of it is all so profound!

Oh, wait. Got carried away there.

thegatewaypundit.  Obama to Blow Off 150th Anniversary of Gettysburg Address -- He's Busy

sentenialandenterprise Obama snubs Gettysburg history

realclearpolitics  Obama's Stunning Snub

And many, many more. Hundreds more. These guys sure know their history too. They are coming out with all sorts of little historical details. They all as one cannot believe the missed opportunity. It could have been perfect.

But then it would raise so many counter narratives that could not be avoided having to do  with Republicans; how the party was started, Lincoln's roll in all that, slavery, party politics and slavery, regional politics and slavery. All that would be forced out in counter narratives. By us.

I honestly think Obama cannot stand this sort of thing altogether. And I think that because I felt that way too. When I was ten. So I can relate.

My father actually took us to Gettysburg. We lived there in Pennslyvania. Both parents grew up in Pennslyvania. My older brother was born there. Bethlehem, where Jesus was born, right there in Pennslyvania. They have a star and everything.

So. Dad took us to Gettysburg and we hated it. I did. I was not ready for that kind of historical stuff. War and such. Harsh things.

He took us to Valley Forge too. Hated that too.

And a house where Eisenhower lived. Presidential libraries. Washington's little fort-house. Solemn historical properties. And of course, Philadelphia. I hated all of it because I was a little boy and all the stories were about depredation, starvation, hardship and war and death and dying and agony. The pain of making a country. That is how I know how Obama feels when he is caught on hot mic muttering, "Jesus" while setting a wreath on a memorial.

[obama wreath jesus]

I was so annoyed at ten. All the holiday places we could have been going to that would be fun, but no, we had to do these dreadful historical things instead. And now that I am older and have come to know so many men who were not thus annoyed by their fathers because their fathers were not around to be so annoying, I can see how it is that when presented with all the unnatural rituals an incompletely mature person will respond as if they are ten. I can see that.

19 comments:

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I remember a long time ago a co-worker once said to me, "Some of the people here are college educated and some are not and you can tell the difference."

Maybe the same sort of rule applies to presidents who've served in the military.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

an incompletely mature person

Very diplomatically put.

bagoh20 said...

Obama is more likely to be descended from people running the slave trade than victims of it.

Unknown said...

In case lefty lurkers are kurking - I know this will come as a shock, but, Lincoln was a Republican.

Unknown said...

Fore!

Michael Haz said...

I didn't appreciate historical sites until well into my adult years. It takes experiencing life and perhaps a bit of suffering to fully appreciate what other people endured and accomplished.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Ditto what HM just said.

ricpic said...

You found your Dad annoying?! I was in total awe of ALL older bigger people. Then I grew up, oh so slowly, and became disenchanted. For example: I don't think that "college educated" means squat. Which makes me more disenchanted than the fruit bat! Is that possible? Something to ponder...

Third Coast said...

On the contrary, one of my biggest thrills as a young tyke was digging spent minie balls out of a creek bank near the Battle of Brandy Station (largest cavalry battle of Civil War). History of all kinds has fascinated me from an early age.
I'm relieved that Obama didn't sully the Gettysburg battlefield with his presence. It's hard enough watching him go through the motions at Tomb of the Unknown Soldier ("Jesus").

edutcher said...

Choom probably thinks Ike lived at Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

Fine post, Chip.

Third Coast said...

On the contrary, one of my biggest thrills as a young tyke was digging spent minie balls out of a creek bank near the Battle of Brandy Station (largest cavalry battle of Civil War)

Very cool.

I would have killed for an experience like that when I was 10.

Trooper York said...

Obama does not care about American History. Why should he?

It is not his native land after all.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Gettysberg is a powerful place to visit.

The Dude said...

I like Gettysburg, too. Saw the centennial reenactment of the battle. How is it that 50 years have passed so quickly?

john said...

On our first trip to Gettysburg with our 2 young children, they were climbing all over a grouped gun exhibit trying to find where the batteries go. Cute. Then it was Buy us ice cream. Family history now, it's all good.

Amartel said...

I thought I heard that!

ampersand said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amartel said...

Ceremony isn't cool, especially military ceremony. All that unironic brassbanding and sweaty marching and people reminisicing and getting teary over courageous honorable achievement. Substance over style is not cool, people. Jesus. All this over a flag.

rcocean said...

Completely different with me. I was the one nagging my mother to go to the Historical sights. Antietam's "Bloody Lane", Pickett's Charge, Custer's Last Stand, "Old Ironsides", The OK Corral, Tombstone and Dodge City.

I was one bloodthirsty little kid.

William said...

It's the graveyards with all those little white crosses that get to you......Battlefields by themselves are not such impressive landscape, but a slight indentation in the field can be worth a thousand lives.