Saturday, September 7, 2013

White kids being determinedly silly




And good at it too.

We used to fly through summer trees
The air was full of blossom breeze
Deep inhale this tasty smell
How many stories does it tell?

Hey my little honey bee
You're far away that's hurting me
I miss you darling far away
Your warm sweet smile this summer day

Je me trouve en plein hiver
de l'autre côté de la terre
j'ai trop froid sans ta chaleur
j'en ai besoin pour mon bonheur

Music is Cinnamon Girl
Dunkelbunt

Apparently they're trying out for the circus. There are two parts.

The thing is, I thought most of these activities were pretty much dead skills, juggling, twirling objects, balancing and such. Seeing young people doing them so enthusiastically like this surprises me. It's showing me there are a bunch of nerdy kids out there not stuck in front of their video games and it is enjoyable seeing them dancing and having good clean fun.

The Pastels, from Tokyo. 


There are no snide comments on YouTube that I saw. Viewers take this seriously. They compelled me to take it seriously too.

I can juggle. Three oranges.

So can you .

Try it with light fabric napkins.

A psychiatrist will do that. Tell you, "Poor dear, you're trying to keep too many things in the air at once. You really can juggle, you know. Here, try." And you do try. And you do juggle the gently floating colored handkerchiefs. Tadaa, you're a juggler.

I used to practice throwing  a knife into an old pecan tree. Scary Halloween tree. Pecan Grove. Bossier City, Louisiana. Old pecan plantation subdivided. Every house has an old played-out pecan tree in the front yard and one in the back yard. They still make pecans but not they're all old. Pretty much everybody has two such trees. They cleverly cut the roads around the trees to eliminate as few trees as possible.

I was in the back yard throwing knifes into the tree and chunks of bark were flying off. The tree had huge deep bark like cork that you could dig your fingers into and climb and break off, and bugs lived inside the layers of bark and the cracks, and it took a lot of chipping away to knock a chunk off, I used a couple of knives so I wouldn't have to walk back and forth so much, a set of steak knives, and got the balance and the flips, the number of flips, overhanded, underhanded, fling-chip, flip-chip, fling-chip, fling-chip, flip-chip, flip-chip, fling-chip, and slipping into a knife-throwing meditative state, the not subtle at all voice of the old tree spoke directly to me,

"What the fuck did I ever do to you, Punk?'

I switched to cardboard boxes. And  I remain quite facile at that whole knife tossing thing. The balance and turns come naturally. I'll  shock my friends by adroitly tossing a screwdriver into a box menacingly and then act like that's innocent and normal.

I have a thing about sharp projectiles. Bows and arrows and such.

I'm good at darts too. I don't play anymore because it pisses people off. I got into trouble accidentally. True story. Met a guy at Regis who fancied himself dart tossing expert and invited me to play at a bar near both our homes. I was never in there before but found out the whole pub is dart-oriented.

I only ever threw the cheap plastic darts that are toys. But I had dozens of those. Same thing about walking back and forth for just three darts, so you have to buy four or five sets. Tossed them in the basement. I'd get bored and grab a whole fistful of darts and bend over like I'm hiking a football and toss the whole clump of darts, all I owned at once the full length of the basement to see how many would hit the board. But through all that I became ace at darts same as throwing knives and screwdrivers.

The guy was bragging the whole time and I was saying how inexperienced I am.

Because I am .

Inexperienced at throwing darts in a pub. Inexperienced at competitions with other dart throwers. I never did have a competition, or a proper game for that matter. He produced his private packet of specialized darts that indicated he is dead serious about tossing darts.

And I am just not serious about anything like bar sports.

Nonetheless, I kicked his ass royally at dart tossing, just naturally from all that idle undisciplined practice like these kids in the video, and it flat pissed him off. He was convinced I was a dart shark and set him up on the whole deal even though we didn't bet money because no mere novice could get such high scores consistently. We failed at becoming friends due to that. He still thinks I'm a crook.

And I also rode a unicycle. Pecan Grove again. One of my friends had one and we all tried it. We could all ride it. All of us in the neighborhood rode that unicycle better than the little kid in the video.

Pretty impressive kid-talents, eh?

Go on, impress me with your specialized talents. What do you do? 

12 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Juggling is a great skill to teach your children, particularly if they have problems focusing. Our unfocused son got into juggling and it helped him some in that regard.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I've been giving serious thought, lately, to the possibility of going professional with my knot tying.

john said...

I could ride that bike.

And slap a stranger in the face, once.

The rest, probably not.

virgil xenophon said...

Part II of the vid is even sillier than Part I, lol.

Good post, Chip. Btw, have you ever seen those guys in Pubs--the really serious guys like the one you encountered--who use those micro-mini darts? Blew me away the first time I saw a guy use those (I was stationed in the UK in the USAF for three years in the '70s so I saw plenty of serious dart throwing, lol)

edutcher said...

Kids being kids.

Thank God.

Synova said...

They've got tightrope walking nearly every day between some trees near the duck pond on campus. The "ropes" are a three inch wide ribbon type thing and not all that tight tied a few feet off the ground.

I think it's part of a tumbling class.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I liked the guy back juggling.

I don't know if saying that right.

I never seen it done that way before so I never heard it said before so I can't say it right now.

Chip burned the daylight oil on this one ;)

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I looked it up..

Its called behind the back juggling.

De espalda.

Chip Ahoy said...

Synova, similar thing. The cable that divides the parking lot from real life space. I watched from my terrace a thin young man walk the cable that hung loosely. Back and forth, just killing time.

Then a block away at the museum, I was sitting outside with my camera and a young man flipped off the sidewalk then returned and backflipped off the sidewalk again, the slope and bridge provide the perfect situation and soft landing for flipping. 5 photos in flickr photostream.

And of course everyone on their skateboards around here.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I can't see young Althouse juggling.

Synova said...

Those are great pictures, Chip.

I was pulling into my husband's work and saw a young man casually walk up to the side of the building and flip himself up on a sort of "catwalk" architectural feature and climb over the building until he got to the other side and went down on the sidewalk and kept walking.

There aren't a lot of places to do Parkour here but that's probably what he was up to. Freaked out everyone on the second floor who suddenly had a person going past their windows. Doesn't help that the businesses that rent their are either financial or work with classified projects. About five people were out the doors and looking around with "WTF" all over their faces after the guy was gone.

I'll admit, when I saw him flip his way up there I watched, too, because I knew security was an issue.

Synova said...

...rent there... wow, fingers.