Monday, September 9, 2013

Twitchy notices, and viewers agree the guy looks creepy

But not every odd person in the background is necessarily purposefully photobombing, there is a good chance the guy is naturally odd.


This is Erin Andrews with Fox News reporting on something sporty.

I'm fascinated. 

It's not creepy and hardly odd. But still fascinating. A bit, but only a bit, in a similar way as with Justin LeBlanc, the deaf guy on Project Runway. 

I noticed a post about Justin on signingsavy, one of the dictionaries that inevitably gets opened in its own tab each session I'm at the computer. Joe thought this was odd, you might too, Joe asked, so I told him, that as I'm reading I look up words I don't know in whatever language I don't know it, and signingsavy is one of some five tabs that are opened regularly for comparing in sign. Since there is so much I don't know that's a practice that slows reading considerably. I showed Joe my history that day and there were hundreds of words were looked up, that's the odd part, and that convinced Joe I'm some kind of loon. Who knows what he says about me when I'm not there to defend myself.

The post is on the front page.  It says about Justin LeBlanc :

* assistant professor College of Design N. Carolina State
* background in architecture 
* interned for Alexander McQueen
* Louis Vuitton Scholarship
* masters degree
* born deaf
* some claptrap about heightened visual sense, ugh
* cochlear implant at 18yrs old
* hears only one side now

I happened to catch the episode just as Justin is voted off, and I thought, "Damn, I would have liked to see more of that." And Justin walked back to the other designers it was sad. 

So sad.

It got me. That quickly. I could tell he is a very nice person. Too bad.  Someone I would like to know, someone I know we'd hit it off. And right then Tim Gunn came back and said he has something important to say. I'm sitting there amused with Tim and his grave mien because nothing can be important, no matter how cogent Meryl Streep's argument in The Devil Wears Prada, that was funny, he continued, 

"I think the judges made a mistake and I'm using my Tim Gunn Save,"

a once a season prerogative to veto the judges, that nobody seems to have heard about until this season, and he used it to save Justin LeBlank. Everybody gleed and the room filled with radiant joy.

Even me.

He got me just that fast.

Later, I noticed the show again running in the background so I snapped on the sound and now I can hear what he sounds like and the types of things that he says and I become fascinated with his two front teeth which appear to be twice as long as the neighboring teeth, like a rabbit, and I cannot. stop. staring.

Not unsightly, no, not that, and not Bucky Beaver either, although I bet he was teased as a child, more like a personal trait that make his face interesting and endearing for its imperfection, it allows his spirit to be known in the animation of his face. Were he in front of me in person I'd embarrass myself by focusing on his teeth. Actually, I'd be able to get away with it because I'd be signing and lipreading him for clues, even though he speaks fine, he'd be used to that behavior.

The opposite of the guy in the top gif whose unusualness is not animated, his supposed creepiness is in his stoic unmoving stance and his inanimate spirit not known, it must be exaggerated to be funny or to be truly creepy. I think his teeth and mouth are just that way.

It freaks me out when people smile and their upper lip is lifted above their gum so that their gums top or bottom show, because I cannot do that. I have to use my fingers to pull my lip up to expose the gums. Face exercise will not tug them higher.  So that guy's mouth permanently opened to expose the incisors I suppose is a bit freaky, but that's all. It's like an open breathing portal  

5 comments:

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

"What is happiness? It’s a moment before you need more happiness."

-- Don Draper

KCFleming said...

What is the evolutionary advantage for creepy looks?

I assume it's present, as it persists.

ricpic said...

The dangerous one is the super regular guy looking guy on the extreme left.

Hey MitchBat, that happiness quote is the key to the recently revealed Kennedy diary. Which Kennedy? I can't remember though they're all duplicates of the original patriarch, anyway this particular Kennedy's lament throughout his diary is I've got everything but there's always that next piece over the next hill I must shtoop or die of misery. Just thought you'd like to know.

deborah said...

I haven't watched one ep this season...really want to, just haven't gotten around to it. Did not know you watched!!! Jumps for joy!!!

So now I need to find out if they're planning a whole day of re-runs, one day.

I LOOOOVE Tim Gunn. He is so dear. Right, yashu?

yashu said...

I LOOOOVE Tim Gunn. He is so dear. Right, yashu?

Not sure why you're asking me (probably comments I made on PR at TOP?), but YES! I looove Tim Gunn, too.

Haven't watched Project Runway in a while-- sort of lost track when they switched networks. I'm not a big reality TV watcher, but PR was definitely a favorite. Especially because of Tim Gunn.

Maybe I'll try to catch up on this season. (I see it's on Amazon & itunes.)