Friday, August 30, 2013

The internet adage about satire is not coined by the poet Poe

Like I assumed, it is another Poe, Nathan. That without a blatant display of humor it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing.

Well, there will alway be someone.

My day's roaming started poorly. A British site deep in the comments embedded a video of some down ticket Republican politician saying something dumb about gay marriages. Or something. You'd have to watch to know. That something so lame was posted so distant to smear so lamely bent me out of shape right off. Causing me to return more harshly than I care to.

And scanning the polurls to see how blue/purple/red concerns sorted. I notice that blue is deeply concerned with some error Bill O'Reilly made, something about no Republicans being invited to some 50th anniversary confab, all down the line in each publication there was some item or two things about that. But purple and red didn't even notice it or did not remark. Odd, it is only one television show, and blue doesn't watch that show, they turn it off in disgust yet the obsession is widespread, so whatever they know they received, and the people who do watch had nothing to say, they are talking about more serious things.

And it's all such a drag.

Volokh writes it is hard day for distinguishing between satirical pieces from the real ones and presents two examples. First the Slate piece on being a bad person if you send your kids to private school, and second, the New Yorker piece Obama promises Syria strike with no objective.

The commenters at Volokh, bless 'em, provide another New Yorker Piece about Christie being booted from GOP primary consideration due to his empathy display.

If that were not bad enough, the links to other New Yorker stories are even more ridiculous that two already mentioned. Another fixation with Fox, something about their "don't come to Jesus moment", now who could resist clicking that obsession? Paula Dean's ugly roots. Satire or what? She's from Georgia. She's old. Will the piece condemn the old South and ignore everything lovely about the woman, or is it more satire?  I'd have to read the whole thing to know. And finally Why the GOP needs to lose for a third time with a picture of Bush. It must be satire.

They're not done in Volokh's comments. The onion is mentioned. But it is a serious piece about limited options, not the satire you might have already read linked at Ace's about the range of options being from a limited bomb strike to a limited bomb strike. I found that very amusing. It is a form I use to describe someone's acting range. From screaming to screaming, while holding out my arms as if screaming were a broad range in itself.

And the Daily Show. But that is a video that comes with an advert, and eh, Jon Stewart.

And finally wikipedia, and that is where I learned Poe not being the poet.

And I realized how depressing all that is. How it is not me at all, how much out of character I come just to process it and address it, how I dislike it a lot. And that is the straw, when two grievances coincided, the one single comment left on one of those final links used the word  "allot." That did it. 

And all that roaming around
The net foreign webs and You Tubes
The finest  thing I found
Turns out to be Two Diva's boobs

I watched all of them. ALL of them. They are so worth the time spent. Then, some of the large breasted women who appeared on the show upload their own videos, and they're even better in their own videos.  The comments on the one woman's page are so full of love and warmth and true affection.

Ture.

Even the video about bread-feeding bras. Ew. Nobody wants to watch that one. Not any comments. Too bad. It is a really hot woman who wants a hot bra not the ridiculously ugly utilitarian wet nurse bras. She shows it so you know what she's talking about. And  it makes you realize, wow, what a drag to be stuck with such ugly bras if that's what you had to wear. And the shopkeeper says, "Any bra can be turned into a nursing bra." Then fits the lady with a really hot bra, and you and she and the shopkeeper all glee and dance at once, hurray! A hot bra!

The View. I know. But it is a very good separate interview without the usual lineup. Two parts, this is the second part. The more useful, I think, but they're both good.



I love these two women. I love their television show. I love the enthusiastic girl who works there, and the things she has to learn. The whole thing is wonderful.  

Through all of this I leaned. And I must agree, honestly, this goes without saying, you would have to have a really good fitting bra for each day of the week at least, That is how guys think. But even that is only one week supply. I am not comfortable with less than thirty. A month. Because I do not like to do laundry. That is my plan for laundry avoidance, and it's a very good system that works. That would apply to bras too if I had to wear those.

One episode showed them making a new ad. Wonderfully zany and self-deprecating and loving and fun. It leaves with the impression the result was bolloxed but the advert on YouTube looks very nice to me, not at all resembling what was shown. One commenter there:



I love this video I love this show I love double divas I wish I could meet them though that would be the happiest moment of my life

Ha ha ha ha ha ha, you loon. I feel the same way. 



9 comments:

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

Going Bra Shopping With You


One thing that I really love to do
Is when you take me bra shopping with you
I pick out the ones I'd love to see you in
Then I start acting silly and the laughs begin

Not that one it's too small
And that one won't do at all
All the bras that make my blood pressure rise
Sadly for me they don't come in your size

You go to try on a few
I offer to come in with you
To give my opinion and lend a hand
But in the ladies dressing room men are banned

Back home I finally get to see
You wearing that bra picked out by me
And watching you take it off the way you do
I'm so glad you took me bra shopping with you

--1995 Harry J Couchon jr

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

I occasionally listen to leftwing radio. It's hilarious to listen to the blues stretch, twist and writhe over the surveillance they were so frightened about under dictator Bush.

Now the blues say... " ah.... ah.... Obama has my back. I want to believe..."

Hilarious.

Or is that satire?

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I was sort of curious to see if anyone had ever invented a bra made out of soft pretzel, the type you get from the hot dog vender all toasty brown with the salt and mustard.

The answer is no, but I did find THIS and that's good enough, after all is said and done.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

My bras are like comfortable worn out shoes. Mildy ripped and stretched because I toss them in the wash instead of the sink.

No way I have 30.

edutcher said...

Did Troop do a guest post?

chickelit said...

Excellent poem post, April Apple!

deborah said...

Things we know about Chip. He likes the crazy dancing instructor show and the bra show.

"I found that very amusing. It is a form I use to describe someone's acting range. From screaming to screaming, while holding out my arms as if screaming were a broad range in itself."

What's the original line that one old-time actress used about another? Her acting runs the gamut from A to B?

ricpic said...

The position of The New Yorker is very instructive. The New Yorker has always taken the temperature of the ruling class. If you go back far enough, essentially pre-WW II, the NYer, though never conservative, was mildly skeptical about the claims made by New Deal Democrats. After WW II the magazine became orthodox country club Republican, essentially liberal but not kill the rich - after all the NYer was pitched to the rich - leftist. But post Reagan the NYer not only no longer has anything good to say about Republican restraint, be it ever so slight, on statism, all things Republican are a disgrace, period. What this says is that the ruling class, all of it, is now wedded to the state and that there can no longer be any change from the ruling class status quo other than through revolution, which is rarely peaceful.