Sunday, August 25, 2013

Obama Announces Plan to Forgive All Student Loans

Scream the headlines at the Daily Currnat, which if I am right is a raisin.

But I'm not so sure that is what is intended.

From what I can see on Washington Post's Wonkblog, they have a good presentation there, "what' old and what's new" and "what is left undone" point for point on through eight points plus an extra to grow on.

1 spread good data
2 ranks colleges based on that data
3 make ratings matter
4 universalize income-based repayment
5 race to the top for higher ed
6 reward colleges that enroll poor students
7 tie aid to progress to toward graduation
8 try out new models for college and test them

It appears the plan is being sold as a system that identifies colleges that offer good value, but that has not been the problem for borrowers, it appears more a plan to alter existing rating systems to change the way colleges look to be even more entwined with government. Government's involvement is the driving force that made student loans so much more expensive over time, the guarantee of loans has made college administration more expensive, using more government to further darken the sky with crisscrossed payments  does not ease the original problem of government loan guarantee making college expensive.

I imagine the announcement will be received as a joy to tens of thousands of students. And I imagine those students being tremendously thankful if their burden actually is eased, and honestly, in a rational world they should never have that dreadful situation to begin with, and it is dreadful to start out life knowing you must have education or you'll not make it, and told now go out and get it, and now pay a fortune for all that. One that affects you long after you've paid it, by delaying your homeownership and retarding your family economic progress.

It is amazing to observe in slow motion these tectonic shifts occurring at once, the basics of college financing changing while education itself and the technology behind it changes even faster.

16 comments:

chickelit said...

This the carrot. The stick is what he'll make them pay for health insurance (unless that too is forgiven).

Chip Ahoy said...

This is who he's talking to.

I'm forming a whole new theory about how slaves were gathered in Africa. I think our history books might be wrong. It was probably a lot easier than you'd expect, as shown.

bagoh20 said...

No mention of developing competent skilled citizens. It's all paperwork bullshit perfect for being played by politics and bureaucrats. Another giant pile of shit to justify money sliding across certain chosen hands.

edutcher said...

Don't forget, the young voters are starting to see through him (about damned time).

PS Chip, you just might have something there.

AllenS said...

Young voters look at Obama, and see someone that they won't be able to vote for anymore.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I'll bet the next thing on Obama's list is to pardon all the draft dodgers who fled to Canada.

edutcher said...

Bucketmouth already did that.

ricpic said...

Something for nothing is irresistible. Thus our downfall.

Yes yes, I understand there's no such thing as something for nothing. But that takes a very slight amount of reflection, something that has demonstrably been beyond the majority.

Aridog said...

Young voters look at Obama, and see someone that they won't be able to vote for anymore.

True dat. However, they may not have to...when Obamessiah declares all the presently defined "phony" issues as real CRISIS and decides we cannot change horses mid-stream,blah blah, executive order goes out suspending 2016 elections and he declares himself a third term, of indefinite length, to fix the CRISIS!

Impossible? Think so? Okay, tell me who would stop him, who would enforce the law of the land?

I'll listen.

I'll not hold my breath waiting for an answer...I look like shit with blue lips.

Trooper York said...

I too think that Obama will try to have a third term. He will push for an amendment to overturn the 22nd amendment.

I would put nothing past him.

chickelit said...

I too think that Obama will try to have a third term. He will push for an amendment to overturn the 22nd amendment.

That's probably contingent on how Dems do in the 2014 midterms. If it's referendum on him, and he loses, then he loses everything; if Dems win big, then I think he'll go in 2016; if nothing changes, then watch for something extra-Constitutional.

Aridog said...

You know what is really scary? Just that I thought it was just me thinking the Obamster would make a third term plus try.

The worry for me, former soldier and former "Fed" is that I'm familiar with how the machinery works. Obama has had the audacity to break trust with the populace, to decide what law he will abide and what he will ignore in a big way...and what law he will enforce in ways never intended by the originators.

It is a serious question: Just who do we think would stop him from anything he tries now? Who would enforce the law of the land?

Holder?

Aridog said...

Two images that I think tell the tale. Take your pick ... I think they tell a story, the first one shows our current trend and the second one shows the mindless near term end state.

chickelit said...

Just who do we think would stop him from anything he tries now?

US

chickelit said...

Another problem with the scheme is that it doesn't answer what students should do tomorrow. Should they take out more loans because they know they'll be forgiven? Why not instead just make all education "free"?

Aridog said...

El Polo R ... you say "US"...who do you mean?

Push come to shove, who would make such a stand? It would require overcoming values I know I've held dear since childhood ... strangely, in order to save those same values.

I'm an old coot now, but I know I could do it becasue I've done it before...in the sense of throwing good sense to the wind and going ahead and doing what I believed was a duty, what I believed in...and I was merely lucky to survive...so many others more worthy never came home. One never quite gets over that form of guilt...it tempers talking tough, you might say.

Do we have, or is there anyone, who could lead in this endeavor? Who would be our Sobieski, our Kościuszko, our Poniatowski ...?